Summary: We know that God has called us to be disciples of Jesus - men and women who are taught by Jesus (through His word) and growing to be more like Christ (through the power of the Holy Spirit). But what does it mean to "be like Jesus?" Is it about His power? His character? His great love?
Key Scripture (Luke 6:39-40):
Now He also spoke a parable to them: “A person who is blind cannot guide another who is blind, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40A student is not above the teacher; but everyone, when he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.
Like Jesus in His Heart
- John 13:34-35 - And He was saying, “That which comes out of the person, that is what defiles the person. 21 For from within, out of the hearts of people, come the evil thoughts, acts of sexual immorality, thefts, murders, acts of adultery, 22 deeds of greed, wickedness, deceit, indecent behavior, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. 23 All these evil things come from within and defile the person.”
- Psalm 34:18 - The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit..
Like Jesus in His Character
- 1 Peter 2:21-22 - For you have been called for this purpose, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you would follow in His steps, 22 He who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth
- Galatians 5:22-24 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus crucified the flesh with its passions and desires..
Like Jesus in His Priorities
- Dependence on the Spirit
- Hebrews 9:14 - how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
- Luke 3:21 - Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus also was baptized, and while He was praying, heaven was opened
- Luke 23:46 - And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into Your hands I entrust My spirit.” And having said this, He died.
- Luke 22:41-42 - And He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and began to pray, 42 saying, “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.”
- Matthew 8:2-3 - And a man with leprosy came to Him and bowed down before Him, and said, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” 3 Jesus reached out with His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.