Restoration: A New Foundation
Summary: Last week we saw that there was not only a vast view in perspective between the Creator and us (creatures), but that we had so embraced sin and been twisted by it that our thought patterns, our wills, our emotions, and our bodies were unable to respond in healthy ways. Today we look at the way of restoration God has provided - the foundation for both real life and a biblical worldview.
Key Scripture (John 3:3):
Jesus responded and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born [c]again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
The Outlook is Bleak
- Ephesians 2:1-2 - And you were dead in your offenses and sins, 2in which you previously walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. .
- Romans 3:10-12 - as it is written:
“There is no righteous person, not even one;
11There is no one who understands,
There is no one who seeks out God;
12They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt;
There is no one who does good, there is not even one.”
- 1 Corinthians 2:14 - But a natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- Genesis 1:26-27 - Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. . . 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
- Colossians 3:9-10 - Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.
- Ephesians 4:24 - and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
God Makes a Way
- John 3:1-16 - Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus at night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus responded and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a person be born when he is old? He cannot enter his mother’s womb a second time and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which has been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which has been born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it is coming from and where it is going; so is everyone who has been born of the Spirit.” 9 Nicodemus responded and said to Him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered and said to him, “You are the teacher of Israel, and yet you do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you people do not accept our testimony. 12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven, except He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man. 14 And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 so that everyone who believes will have eternal life in Him. 16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life.
You Must be Born Again
- Open to ALL
- Revelation 5:9-10 - And they *sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are You to take the scroll and to break its seals; for You were slaughtered, and You purchased people for God with Your blood from every tribe, language, people, and nation. 10 You have made them into a kingdom and priests to our God, and they will reign upon the earth.”
- John 6:37 - Everything that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I certainly will not cast out.
- Restores ALL
- Romans 12:2 - And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Romans 5:5 - the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
- Romans 6:4 - Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in newness of life.
- Romans 6:11-13 - So you too, consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore sin is not to reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the parts of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those who are alive from the dead, and your body’s parts as [n]instruments of righteousness for God.
- 1 Corinthians 15:42-44 - So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
- Requires GROWTH
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 - But we all, with unveiled faces, looking as in a mirror at the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.