By Grace: Ephesians 2:1-3
Summary: Outside of God's Grace You Were Spiritually Dead
Key Scripture (Ephesians 2:1-3): And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— 3among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
Being Spiritually Dead, You Followed the World
- Romans 12:2 - Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- 1 John 2:15-17 - Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
Being Spiritually Dead, You Followed the Devil
- 1 John 5:19 - We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 - In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
- Being Spiritually Dead, You Followed the Flesh
- Galatians 5:16-21 - But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do[e] such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- 1 Timothy 5:6 - You should know that our brother Timothy has been released, with whom I shall see you if he comes soon.
Additional Bible Verses:
- John 10:10 - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
- Revelation 12:11 - And they conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.